Sunday, November 20, 2011

What to do with all those unfamiliar vegetables from the CSA....

One advantage about belonging to the CSA is that it's made me an adventurous cook. I've come across vegetables this season I never knew existed, and none of them have really scared me. That is, until I met celeriac. Poor celeriac! I can't imagine that anyone who knew nothing about this guy would ever pick it up and think, "this looks good." By far one of the oddest looking vegetables I've gotten from the CSA this season, not to mention one of the hairiest, I decided not to let it rot in my refrigerator; instead I began searching for ways to use it.


Celeriac peeled (left) and unpeeled

I happened upon this recipe, courtesy of Tiny Urban Kitchen. Thanks again to the CSA, I had all the ingredients for the soup. It was fast and easy to make, and the taste was surprising: sweet, earthy and savory all at once, and quite delicious. Celeriac, or celery root, has a mild, grassy, earthy flavor and is easy to cook with; much easier than it looks, that is to say!

Celeriac Apple Potato Soup, courtesy of tinyurbankitchen.com

Ingredients
1 celeriac root (peeled and chopped)
2 medium sized Idaho potatoes (peeled and chopped)
1 large apple (peeled and chopped)
1/2 onion, diced
1 Qt chicken broth
1 T butter
1 T oil
1/2 tsp dried Thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onions in butter and oil under medium heat for a few minutes until browned and translucent. Add the celeriac and potatoes.  Saute for about 8-10 minutes until they are cooked.  Add broth and apples.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Blend with an immersion blender or, if using a blender, blend in batches in the blender.  Garnish with toppings of your choice and serve.

All the ingredients simmering...wait until you smell this!


The finished soup has a rich, autumnal color


Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment