Friday, June 15, 2012

Summer lemonade

Being pregnant is interesting. However, the list of things one can't eat and drink is maddening. Honestly, what did women do 50 years ago? As I try to negotiate a fine balance between being completely paranoid and enjoying my favorite food season,summer, I'm finding alternatives to the things I love to drink (think a dry summer rose) and eat. I trick myself into thinking I'm having a glass of Pinot with this little gem: homemade lemonade with a splash of seltzer, served in a wine glass, of course. This recipe comes from simplyrecipes.com. My change is using less sugar, a splash of seltzer and adding a bit of mint to the glass.

1 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups water
Fresh mint to garnish
Seltzer

 Make a simple syrup of the sugar and water by heating the water and sugar together until the sugar dissolves (about 1 minute).

While the sugar is dissolving, squeeze the juice of 6 lemons for 1 cup of juice.

Combine the syrup and lemon juice and refrigerate until cold.

Serve with a splash of seltzer and mint, if you'd like, or slices of lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment